Dear Fellow Crafters,
The newest adult hobby is crayoning. Adult coloring books are everywhere – Dollar stores, department stores, grocery stores, Hallmark stores and, of course, Amazon! There are many different themes too – nautical, floral, seasonal etc. If you’re still not convinced, here are my top 10 reasons to join this “new” creative journey.
- Coloring engages both sides of your brain- tactical (feel of crayon, marker, watercolor pencil) in your hand, and creative (colors you choose).
- Coloring has a de-stressing effect because we focus on it and not on our worries. It brings out our imaginations and brings us back to our childhoods.
- Colors can inspire you to design or sketch. For instance, the most attention-getting color is red, and did you know that hospital rooms are often painted green because it’s easy on the eye and causes people to relax. So, if you’re in the re-decorating mood, you now know that you need to paint your bedroom green!
- Coloring is a thing to do instead of watching mindless tv.
- A coloring book can teach you a lot about art. As you color a page, notice the details – how the petals shape the flower, the lines construct the muscles of a lion etc.
- Color theory comes to play here- if you want to color a realistic picture, you have to layer colors.
- We live in a very stressful world, exacerbated by external events that we can’t control – politics, violence, depression, business. Coloring helps you “zone out” for brief periods of time.
- You can use your coloring pages in your card making – think backgrounds.
- You get to choose shades not just bold colors.
- We all love to create, but for some of us, choosing colors can be frustrating and let’s face it, finding time to create is often a challenge. Coloring is a creative quick-fix. We can experiment with colors and we can color with strangers on a bus or with a grandchild.